Saturday, June 16, 2007

Roaring River, Tablerock Lake, War Eagle River



(254 mi; about 7 hours 7 min)

As with the other mileages and times I indicate, they're the estimates from Google Maps. I've found them to be pretty close to what I experience as long as I add extra time for gas stops and meals.

My main intent for this ride was to try to evaluate the stock seat on my Sportster. A lot of people complain about this seat. I've seen some references to it being a "50 mile seat". This ride took me right at 8 hours with only minimal stops for gas (twice) and lunch. After about 5.5 hours, I did need a bit of a butt break, so at the next gas stop, also took the time to stand up and drink a soda. I'm not sure if it would have been much different with one of the popular replacement seats, but I was pretty pleased with the stock seat.

There are so many good day rides in this area of the country. This one touches in parts of Missouri's Mark Twain National Forest, Tablerock Lake, and the Ozarks. As I was approaching the downhill stretch to Roaring River park, something in the woods caught my eye. I turned around and road a little ways down a faint dirt roadway to get a better look. Someone had built sort of a temporary shelter. I'd rather sleep on the ground under a tarp, but it was kind of interesting. Actually, at my age, I'd rather sleep in a real bed these days...

MAP

No comments: